July 27, 2012
Stop & Shop New England
Stop & Shop Debuts New Hyannis Store Today
Grand Opening Weekend Boasts Savings and Festivities for Cape Cod Shoppers; Raises Money for Local Cape Cod League Baseball Team
(QUINCY, Mass.,) July 27, 2012 - At 6 a.m. this morning, The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC opened the doors to its new Hyannis, Mass. store at 1220 Iyannough Road. The brand new 65,000 square-foot store will continue to deliver value and convenience to the Hyannis community by replacing the existing Stop & Shop store just a quarter of a mile away on Independence Road.
The new store will provide Cape Cod residents and vacationers with an expanded selection of food offerings including a full-service meat and seafood department and more selections in deli, fresh produce and natural and organic goods. It also incorporates innovative features with the latest in sustainability related to energy, recycling and water consumption, and also the first of its kind grocery mobile app, SCAN IT! Mobile. A new Citizens Bank branch will offer seven-day banking. The pharmacy will continue to serve customers in the new store.
Stop & Shop will be celebrating its grand opening with special offers and activities for Cape Cod shoppers over the weekend of July 27 through July 29:
- The first 500 customers to exchange their cards from other supermarkets for a Stop & Shop card receive a $5 Stop & Shop gift card. Friday July 27, 6:00 a.m. - until supplies last.
- The Passport Program - Customers can travel and tour designated areas of the store, sample food and collect stamps along the way. Visit five areas and receive a free reusable bag (while supplies last). Opening weekend hours are Friday 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Stop & Shop Brands Patrol - Stop & Shop is giving $1,000 worth of prizes through its Brands Patrol! Customers that purchase Nature’s Promise and Stop & Shop brand products could win a $10 Stop & Shop gift card. Up to $500 a day will be given away during noon - 3:00 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Pat Patriot, Mascot of The New England Patriots, will make a special appearance Sunday, 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
Additionally, with help from its customers, Stop & Shop will support the Cape Cod Baseball League’s Hyannis Harbor Hawks with a $1 donation (up to $1,000) for every check-in on Foursquare. Check-ins can be made through Sunday evening at the new Hyannis Stop & Shop location at 1220 Iyannough Road and at McKeon Park, home field of the Harbor Hawks, including during the home game Friday, July 27 at 7 p.m. against the Cotuit Kettleers.
“We are pleased to open this store to better serve our Hyannis area customers,” said Joe Kelley, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. “Hyannis is a unique community we feel strongly about not only because there are so many residents and vacationers that live and visit this area, but also because of partnerships we have made with several local organizations, including the First Baptist Church food pantry and the Cape Cod Baseball League’s Hyannis Harbor Hawks.”
New Store Offerings
The new Hyannis store will offer a variety of innovative solutions and ongoing savings to make shopping both easier and affordable, including:
- SCAN IT! hand held devices will be available to allow customers to scan and bag groceries while they shop.
- SCAN IT! Mobile which lets customers use their personal mobile device to shop, scan, and tally their groceries while they shop. The app is available to iPhone® 3GS, 4G, 4S, and many Android™ users
A new Citizens Bank branch
The Citizens Bank will offer seven-day banking and extended hours, in-store bankers, enhanced ATMs so customers can deposit checks and cash without needing to use envelopes and deposit tickets, and video banking, which provides on-demand face-to-face interaction with bank specialists in different locations.
Savings in Store & Beyond
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for several weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular.
- Expanded selection of Stop & Shop’s Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value.
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards. Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump. Redeeming points is easy - Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations. The nearest Stop & Shop gas station is located at 125 West Main St., Hyannis, Mass., 2.3 miles away.
- Stop & Shop’s program to support local schools, A+ School Rewards, is free and easy for customers to help the school of their choice receive funding every year. Visit stopandshop.com for details.
Environmentally Friendly Building
The new store, which will be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified, is anticipated to use up to 20 percent less energy than a typical grocery store of this size. It was built with an extensive range of energy efficient features:
- White roof to reflect the sun light and reduce the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling.
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5 percent.
- LED lighting in overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases which uses half the wattage of traditional incandescent lighting.
- Low air return in frozen aisles which makes the store environment more comfortable for shoppers.
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33 percent less electricity.
- Low mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices.
- An Energy Management System to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems.
- Low flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35 percent.
- Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints, adhesives and sealants to ensure proper air quality.
- Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality.
- Water efficient landscaping.
The new Hyannis Stop & Shop located at 1220 Iyannough Road is open today from 6 a.m. - Midnight. Regular store hours are 6 a.m. - Midnight Monday through Saturday and 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. Sunday. Pharmacy hours are 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
The previous Independence Road location closed its doors at 9 p.m. on Thursday, July 26.
For additional store details, information about in-store offerings and savings or Stop & Shop’s community partnerships, visit www.stopandshop.com .
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 54 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com and www.facebook.com/stopandshop.