autumn beef roast
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 2 hours
ready in: 2 hours 15 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 10 ounces each
- 3 lb boneless chuck roast, bottom round or rump roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb fresh carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 ½ lb white potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water, divided
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Trim fat from roast. Pat roast dry with clean paper towels, rub salt into roast.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides.
- Add apple cider, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves. Reduce heat to low, cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Simmer for a total of 2 hours, turning roast occasionally.
- During the last 45 minutes add vegetables and 1/2 cup cold water, recover pan. Continue to simmer until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables into serving dishes, cover and keep warm.
- Strain liquid into a 2 cup measuring cup and discard peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves. If necessary, add enough water to juices to equal 2 cups. Return to Dutch oven.
- Stir flour and remaining 1/4 cup cold water together in a small cup. Whip into juices. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 more minute.
- Ladle sauce atop sliced beef. Serve hot with vegetables.
per serving: 430 calories, 11g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 100mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 45g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 37g protein