autumn turkey casserole
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
ready in: 55 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1 ½ cups each
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups turkey, cooked and cubed
- 2 cups green apple, cubed (leave skin on)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a saucepan, combine water and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer 35-45 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Steam cubed squash in microwave for 2 minutes on high.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking pan with oil or cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook until tender and translucent. Season with pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and milk, add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to bubble. Add cheese to milk mixture in two batches, whisking until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- In prepared baking dish, combine cooked rice, steamed squash, turkey, apples and cranberries. Pour creamy sauce over and gently mix until all ingredients are coated. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and top is lightly browned.
per serving: 410 calories, 12g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 52g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 18g sugars, 25g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.