balsamic sirloin with vegetable topping
prep time: 1 hour, plus marinating
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour, 30 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 6 oz. each
- 1½ lbs sirloin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup quartered button mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup julienned sundried tomatoes
- 6 oz baby spinach
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Place steak in glass baking dish and coat evenly with salt and pepper. Mix together remaining marinade ingredients and pour over steak. Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes on each side or overnight, flipping steak at least once.
- While steak is marinating, prepare topping. In a sauté pan, heat olive oil and sauté shallots for 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until mushrooms become tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted. Remove from heat, keep warm.
- Place rack in middle of oven and preheat broiler on high for at least 5 minutes. Place meat in oven and broil for 15 minutes; turn over and broil an additional 10 minutes. Check temperature and continue broiling until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- When steak is done, remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut steak into 1/2-inch slices and top with vegetable mixture. Serve immediately.
per serving: 260 calories, 15g fat, 5g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 25g protein