beef & barley with portobello mushrooms
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 2 hours
ready in: 2 hours 25 minutes
makes: 5 servings, 8 ounces each
- 2 lb chuck shoulder roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onions, coarse cut
- 2 cups chopped carrots, coarse cut
- 4 cups beef broth
- 6 oz. Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and cubed
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cut beef into 1 inch cubes, trimming fat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and quickly brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan.
- Brown onions in pan drippings for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add carrots and mushrooms, continue to cook vegetables for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in broth, barley, oregano and garlic powder.
- Return beef to pan, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and heat for another 5 minutes.
per serving: 440 calories, 11g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 95mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 45g carbohydrates, 10g dietary fiber, 42g protein