beef barley soup II
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 20 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 10 oz. each
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup dried mushrooms of your choice
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 medium carrot, trimmed, peeled and sliced in thin rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 lb beef chuck, in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak mushrooms in 1/2 cup of hot chicken broth for 10 minutes. Remove mushrooms from broth, rinse to remove dirt or grit and chop into large pieces. Filter or decant broth.
- Combine barley, 2 cups of broth, mushrooms, the filtered broth, carrots, garlic and bay leaf in a 3 or 4 quart microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly with microwavable plastic wrap. Cook at 100% for 14 minutes.
- While barley is cooking, sauté chuck cubes in a large skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned. Add remaining 1½ cups broth to skillet and stir.
- Remove barley from microwave. Uncover and discard bay leaf. Add dill and cooked chuck. Season with pepper and serve hot.
per serving: 170 calories, 3g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 26g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 9g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.