prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 5 oz. each
- 3 lb. round steak, sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Per Serving: 180 calories, 5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 25g protein
- Partially freeze beef to make slicing easier. Slice crosswise into strips.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, pepper, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of mixture onto each slice of beef. Roll up and secure with toothpick.
- Place rolls on lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and remove toothpicks.
- For sauce, combine tomato puree, garlic, oregano and basil. Heat sauce, add beef rolls and simmer for about 20 minutes. Alternate method: baked beef rolls may be added to sauce ingredients, refrigerated overnight and heated the next day.
- Serve with pasta and a side of steamed broccoli.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.