beef brisket with tzimmes
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 4 hours
ready in: 4 hours 20 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 12 ounces each
- 3 lb beef brisket, fat trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large carrots, sliced, or 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 3 potatoes, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz. pitted prunes (about 12)
- Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven with lid, heat the oil over medium high heat. Brown the meat on all sides and drain off any excess fat.
- Mix together water, honey and cinnamon and pour over the meat. Cover, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Arrange the carrots, squash, potatoes and onions around the meat. Cover and continue simmering for about 1 hour. Add apples and prunes and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat is fork tender and vegetables are soft.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables and fruit to a serving bowl. Transfer the meat to a platter or carving board. Cut the meat against the grain, pour some of the sauce over the top, and serve with the vegetables and fruit.
- For crock pot: Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper and brown in oil in a skillet. Place carrots, squash, potatoes and onions in crock pot. Place meat over the vegetables. Arrange apples and prunes on top of meat. Combine water, honey and cinnamon and pour over all. Cook on low heat for 10-12 hours.
per serving: 500 calories, 10g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 75g carbohydrates, 10g dietary fiber, 37g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.