prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 2 hours
ready in: 2 hours 15 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 12 ounces each
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups diced onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups veal, chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Tabasco® sauce or cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat, saute onions and garlic until soft. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat and brown meat, then add onions and tomato paste and mix well. Blend in the flour and cook mixing constantly, until the flour browns a little, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add 4 cups of stock, bay leaves, paprika, Tabasco®, salt, and pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and continue to simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the red peppers. Add them to the beef mixture.
- Continue to cook, stirring often for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender, add additional stock if needed. Remove bay leaves.
per serving: 344 calories, 18g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 57mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 18g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 30g protein