cajun spiced grilled chicken & red beans
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
ready in: 50 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 11 oz. each
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) New Orleans style red beans
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- Olive oil spray
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add onion and green pepper and cook until tender.
- Add garlic, bay leaf and beans with liquid. Add ground black pepper if desired. Simmer while chicken cooks.
- Separate legs from thighs. Use the tip of a sharp knife to make several small cuts in chicken skin. Spray each piece with olive oil; use knife tip to lift skin and sprinkle each piece with 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning under and on top of skin. Place chicken on grill and cook 10 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove bay leaf from beans. Serve with chicken and rice.
Per Serving: 410 calories, 17g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 160mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 2g sugars, 34g protein