chuck wagon casserole
Prep Time: 25 min. Cook Time: 20 min. Makes 6 servings, 13 oz. each
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (14.5 oz)
- 1 can chopped green chilies, drained (4.5 oz)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can 98% fat free cream of celery soup
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pkg. corn bread mix (prepare batter as directed)
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brown meat in a large skillet over medium heat and drain.
- Add chopped onion, and cook 2–3 minutes. Add tomatoes, chilies, corn, soup, bell pepper and seasonings, stir to mix.
- Spread in an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread mix in a small mixing bowl. Top meat mixture with prepared cornbread batter, sealing to the sides of the pan. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cornbread is set and cheese is golden brown.