prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 4 hours, 15 minutes
ready in: 4 hours, 30 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 10 oz. each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (4 lb.) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 cups Nature's Promise fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cider vinegar
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste; add to skillet. Cook 5–8 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Transfer chicken to a platter.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic and thyme to skillet; sauté 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly until combined. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in vinegar.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on low 4–5 hours or until chicken is fork-tender. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a large serving dish. Spoon cooking liquid over chicken, and serve.
per serving: 320 calories, 18g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 95mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g sugars, 31g protein