colombian beef and sweet potato stew
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 6 hours 30 minutes
ready in: 6 hours 45 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3 cups peeled sweet potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 8 dried apricots, cut in half
- chopped fresh parsley, if desired
- Remove excess fat from beef and cut into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle beef with pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Cook beef in oil about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown.
- In a 4 to 5 qt slow cooker, combine beef and remaining ingredients except apricots and parsley. Cover, cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until beef is tender. Or place ingredients in a Dutch oven or large pot and simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Stir in apricots. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 15 minutes or until fruit is softened. Discard cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Sprinkle stew with parsley.
per serving: 420 calories, 19g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 41g carbohydrates, 6g dietary fiber, 27g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.