corned beef with cabbage
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 3 hours 45 minutes minutes
ready in: 3 hours 55 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 14 oz. each
- 2 lb corned beef brisket
- 2 lb small red potatoes, left whole with peel (halved or quartered if larger)
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 Tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 fresh head of cabbage
- Ground black pepper, to taste
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Place the first 6 ingredients into a large pot and cover with cold water. Cover and bring to a soft simmer for 3 ½ hours
- Discard outer leaves of the cabbage, cut into quarters and remove the core and add to pot. Cook for an additional 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender and bright green.
- Slice the corned beef in ¼-inch thick slices and serve with potatoes and cabbage.
- *If preparing for a gluten-free diet, make sure all ingredients are labeled gluten-free
per serving: 360 calories, 17g fat, 5g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 1430mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 7g sugars, 21g protein