cornish game hens
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 30 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 1/2 each
- 2 whole Cornish game hens (about 1 ¼ lb each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 whole carrot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Rinse Cornish game hens with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Carefully lift skin and season meat with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Place birds in prepared baking dish, cut side down, placing a section of onion, some celery and carrots under each half. Bake for 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with pan juices until juices run clear and internal temp in thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°F.
- Skim fat off juices in baking dish and thicken pan juices with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon of cold water.
- Split hens in half by cutting down backbone and then through breastbone and serve with gravy.
per serving: 160 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 115mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 4g carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 26g protein