fiesta taco salad
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 15 oz. each
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef*
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) Nature's Promise canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- dash cayenne pepper
- 4 oz. baked tortilla chips
- 4 oz. reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cups fat-free sour cream
- guacamole or avocado slices (optional)
- salsa or pepper sauce (optional)
- Cook beef in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain fat, transfer meat to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- Add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, vinegar, chili powder, cumin and cayenne to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until onions and tomatoes are soft and liquid has thickened.
- Add meat back in for the last 5 minutes.
- To serve, place tortilla chips on a large plate, then layer with cooked meat mixture, cheese, lettuce, and bell pepper. Top with sour cream. Add guacamole or salsa if desired.
- *You can substitute chicken, pork, shrimp or additional beans (such as pinto or kidney) for the beef.
per serving: 400 calories, 13g fat, 5g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 10g sugars, 30g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.