grilled steak and veggie pita
prep time: 10 minutes + marinate time
cook time: 8 minutes
ready in: 12 hours, 18 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1/2 pita sandwich each
- 1 (1 lb.) top sirloin steak, 3/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup light balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rounds 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup hummus
- 3 whole-grain pita pockets, cut in half
- 1 cup mixed spring greens
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Place steak and vinaigrette in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag, turning to coat. Refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Grill steak 4–5 minutes per side for medium-rare (145°F) or to desired doneness. Remove steak from grill; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bell pepper and onion on grill rack. Grill 3–4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut peppers into thin strips and separate onion rounds into rings.
- Spread 1 tablespoon hummus inside each pita half. Fill each with spring greens, onion and bell pepper. Slice steak across the grain, fill each pita evenly with steak, and serve.
per serving: 300 calories, 9g fat, 3g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 3g sugars, 28g protein