lamb shish kabob
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1 kabob each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lb lean lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 24 mushrooms
- 24 small onions
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Combine oil, broth, wine, lemon juice, garlic, salt, rosemary and pepper. Place lamb, tomatoes, mushrooms and onions in a shallow glass or ceramic dish.
- Pour liquid over meat and vegetables and marinate in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Assemble 8 skewers alternating lamb, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. Broil 3 inches from heat for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
per serving: 270 calories, 12g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 16g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 26g protein
Recipe from National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute: Heart Healty Recipes, July 2003.