mexican beef salad bowl
prep time: 15 minutes + marinate time
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 1 hour, 25 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 7½ oz. each
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle pepper marinade (from a 1.3 oz. pkg.)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (12 oz.) London broil (beef top round steak), about 1-inch thick
- 6 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salsa (optional)
- Light sour cream (optional)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a small bowl combine garlic, marinade and oil; rub on both sides of steak. Wrap steak in plastic wrap and place on a plate. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler to high. Coat a broiler pan rack with nonstick cooking spray. Unwrap meat and place on pan. Broil 5–7 minutes per side (145°F for medium-rare) or to desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices.
- To assemble salads, place lettuce in 4 salad bowls. Top evenly with black beans and steak. If desired, top with salsa and sour cream, and serve.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with a side of tortilla chips, or crumble them on top.
per serving: 160 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 2g suagrs, 22g protein