passover beef bourguignon
prep time: 20 minutes cook time: 2 hours makes: 6 servings, 6 oz. each
- 2 cups matzo meal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2½ lb beef chuck, cubed
- 5 Tablespoons Pareve margarine or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3½ cups dry red wine
- Parsley, to taste
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, cut largest into halves
- 10 pearl onions, whole, peeled
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a bowl, mix matzo meal with salt and pepper. Dredge beef cubes in mixture.
- Heat 3 tablespoons margarine or oil in a Dutch oven until sizzliing. Add coated meat chunks; brown on all sides, then add chopped yellow onion, garlic and carrots. Vegetables should be just tender-firm. Pour off excess fat.
- Add wine and parsley. Cover and cook in 350°F oven for about 1½ hours.
- Heat remaining margarine or oil in a large sauté pan. Add pearl onions and sauté for approximately 3 minutes, then add mushrooms until just browned.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the Dutch oven; continue cooking, covered, for another 30 minutes.
- *Make sure all ingredients are labeled Kosher for Passover.
per serving: 570 calories, 18g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 29g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 0g sugar, 46g protein