- Trim fat from roast and season with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and brown meat on all sides. Add water and bring to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, beans, bay leaf and cloves. Cover and simmer for an additional 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables from pan and keep warm. Discard bay leaf and cloves. Strain pan juices and, if necessary, add water to make 2 cups.
- Crumble gingersnap cookies into liquid, cook and stir until thickened to make gravy. Slice meat and serve with vegetables and gravy.
crock pot directions
- Trim fat from roast and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and brown meat on all sides.
- Place vegetables in bottom of crock pot and place meat on top.
- Add water, bay leaf and cloves. Cover, cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- Prepare gravy as above, using a saucepan.
per serving: 300 calories, 10g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 100mg cholesterol, 270g sodium, 12g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 39g protein