pot roast with gingersnap gravy
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 2 hours
ready in: 2 hours 20 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 8 ounces each
- 3 lb beef bottom round or rump roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, sliced into 1/2" rounds
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups green beans (fresh, frozen or canned, drained)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 gingersnap cookies
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Trim fat from roast and season with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and brown meat on all sides. Add water and bring to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, beans, bay leaf and cloves. Cover and simmer for an additional 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables from pan and keep warm. Discard bay leaf and cloves. Strain pan juices and, if necessary, add water to make 2 cups.
- Crumble gingersnap cookies into liquid, cook and stir until thickened to make gravy. Slice meat and serve with vegetables and gravy.
crock pot directions
- Trim fat from roast and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and brown meat on all sides.
- Place vegetables in bottom of crock pot and place meat on top.
- Add water, bay leaf and cloves. Cover, cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- Prepare gravy as above, using a saucepan.
per serving: 300 calories, 10g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 100mg cholesterol, 270g sodium, 12g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 39g protein