quick beef and broccoli
prep time: 15 minutes + marinate time
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 1 hour, 25 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 7 oz. each
- 2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled, grated gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ lb. top or bottom sirloin steak, cut into strips 1-inch thick
- 2½ cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. sliced white mushrooms (optional)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- For the marinade, in a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, honey, 1 teaspoon of the oil, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Place beef in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour half the marinade over beef. Seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours. Reserve and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Remove beef from marinade; discard this portion of marinade. In a large nonstick skillet or wok heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over high heat. Add beef; stir-fry 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add broccoli and reserved marinade; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms (if desired). Stir-fry 3 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Serving suggestion: serve over white or brown rice
per serving: 355 calories, 16g fat, 5g saturated fat, 125mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g sugars, 44g protein