prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 60 minutes
makes: 10 servings, 4 oz. each
- 1 lb. country chicken sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 20 phyllo sheets, thawed according to package directions; divided
- 1/2 cup melted light butter spread
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack, divided
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12x18-inch baking pan with foil.
- Decase sausage and crumble meat. In a large skillet over medium heat cook and stir sausage, bell peppers, onion and garlic until sausage is well-browned; drain. Add sage, cayenne (if desired), and pepper to taste; mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Working quickly, place 1 sheet of phyllo on a 12x15-inch sheet of parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush phyllo sheet with butter spread. Place second phyllo sheet on top; lightly brush with butter spread. Continue layering and brushing with butter spread for a total of 10 sheets to make 1 log.
- For the strudel, spoon half the sausage mixture down one long side of phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle half the cheese on top of sausage mixture. Fold short ends of phyllo over filling, then firmly roll long sides of phyllo to form a log. Repeat to make second strudel.
- Using parchment paper, carefully transfer logs, seam side down, onto baking sheet, leaving space between the logs. Brush with remaining butter spread.
- Bake 25–30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove; let stand 10 minutes to cool before slicing.
per serving: 250 calories, 12g fat, 4g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 525mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g sugars, 12g protein