spicy chicken tacos
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 43 minutes
ready in: 58 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 2 tacos each
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 whole tomato, chopped
- 1 whole jalapeno, seeded and crushed
- 2 Tablespoons adobo sauce
- 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 3½ cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Place the chicken in a pot and cover with water. Bring it to boil. Then reduce to medium-low heat and cover the pot. Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender. Remove from the heat, remove chicken from pot, and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
- In the same pot, heat the oil at a medium-high heat. Add the onion, the green bell pepper and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and place in the pot.
- Add the tomato, 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid, jalapeno and the adobo sauce. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- To assemble tacos: Warm the tortillas in a skillet, over medium heat. Spread shredded cheese and chicken over half of the tortilla and fold. Heat the tacos turning once or twice until cheese melts and tacos are golden brown. Serve with salsa, sour cream and shredded lettuce.
per serving: 490 calories, 25g fat, 13g saturated fat, 100mg cholesterol, 1460mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 5g sugars, 28g protein