sweet and savory chicken quinoa
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 7 oz. each
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 8 oz grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes (2 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove a 3-inch strip of peel from the orange. Place peel and 1 1/4 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa, ginger, cinnamon and coriander; reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; discard orange peel.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine raisins, cherries and 1 cup hot water; stir. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, raisins, cherries and chicken. Using a microplane grater, finely grate orange peel for zest. Measure 1/2 teaspoon of the zest; add to bowl.
- Cut orange in half; squeeze 1/2 cup juice. In a small bowl whisk together juice, remaining grated zest, oil and vinegar. Drizzle on cooked quinoa–chicken mixture, toss to coat, and serve.
Per serving: 260 calories, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 13g sugars, 13g protein