- In a medium saucepan, place potatoes in enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium- low, cover, and cook for 15–20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly and return to the pot over low heat, stirring to evaporate any excess water. Add garlic, sour cream and milk. Mash until well-combined, adding more milk if necessary for a soft texture. Season to taste with pepper and keep warm.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cool over medium- high heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat; add oil, and swirl to coat bottom of skillet. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir 10 minutes or until sausage is browned on all sides. Drain fat.
- Add sauerkraut and ½ cup water to skillet; stir to combine. Add crumbled bacon, apple, and pepper to taste. If desired, sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Slice sausages, and serve sausages and sauerkraut over mashed potatoes.
Per serving: 320 calories, 17g fat, 6g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 8g sugars, 19g protein