ultimate chicken tortilla soup
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1 3/4 cups each
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (3 oz.) chicken cutlets, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons no-salt-added fiesta lime seasoning
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 to 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place tortilla strips on baking sheet. Coat lightly with cooking spray; toss to coat. Bake 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from oven; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy-bottomed pot heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned. Transfer chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- Add onion, seasoning and remaining oil to pot; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add tomatoes, broth, black beans and corn; bring to boiling. Return chicken to pot. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is heated through (165°F). Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, top with tortilla strips, and serve.
Per serving: 250 calories, 6g fat, 1g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 5g sugars, 20g protein