August 4, 2015
Stop & Shop NY Metro Division
STOP & SHOP OFFERS QUICK, EASY AND HEALTHY BACK TO SCHOOL MEAL SOLUTIONS FOR CUSTOMERS
PURCHASE, NY (August 4, 2015) With the “Back-to-School” rush right around the corner, The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC is offering fresh, easy and healthy solutions to busy customers. Whether it’s a nutritional breakfast, healthy snack or an energy-packed lunch, Stop & Shop is focused on bringing customers ways to save time, save money and eat well.
Start the school day off right.
Breakfast provides your body with the nutrients and fuel it needs to concentrate and focus on the day ahead. Even waking up just a few minutes earlier can give you the time to squeeze in a quick morning meal. Aim for as many food groups as possible by incorporating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein and dairy into your meal. Read the nutrition labels carefully before you toss breakfast bars, cereal and pastries into your shopping cart. Keep it to no more than eight grams of sugar and look for “whole grains” as the first ingredient.
Think outside the lunchbox.
Before you begin the daily task of packing a lunch that not only tastes great, but also provides needed nutrition and energy to last through the school day, check out these ideas from Stop & Shop:
- Get the kids involved in making their own lunches, like washing fruits and vegetables or portioning snacks.
- Swap plain white sandwich bread for something that’s whole grain, like a bagel, raisin bread, a wrap or a pita.
- Make lunches as bright and colorful as possible, using plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Cut up fresh veggies and pair with low-fat ranch dressing, peanut butter or any nut butter, sunflower seed butter, veggie dip, low-fat plain Greek yogurt or hummus.
- Change up the lunchbox routine by rotating the types of protein, fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy and whole grains you use.
- Snack time? Satisfy salty, crunchy cravings with a baggie of low-fat microwave popcorn or whole grain chips and salsa.
What’s for dinner?
The day doesn’t end once the kids are home from school. There’s homework, sports practice, music lessons and more. To take the stress out of getting dinner on the table, Stop & Shop recommends meal planning. While it takes time, plan what meals you want to have that week before you go to the grocery store. Look over the weekly circular and plan based on sale items. Other tips include:
- On the weekend, prepare a large batch of favorite recipes by doubling or tripling the batch. Refrigerate or freeze in individual containers. Use them throughout the week to avoid take-out when dinner is needed quickly.
- Stock up on frozen vegetables. They are great to have on hand for a healthy and quick side dish.
- Fix it and forget it. Using a slow cooker is a great way to prepare a balanced warm meal that you can prep ahead of time.
For specific meal ideas, pick up the latest edition of Stop & Shop’s Savory Fast, Fresh and Easy™ magazine during your next trip to the store; download the free app for your Apple, Android, Kindle or Windows device; or explore the Savory recipes
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness – with emphasis on children’s educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA’s Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 50 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company.To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.comor href="http://www.facebook.com/stopandshop">www.facebook.com/stopandshop