October 8, 2015
Stop & Shop NY Metro Division
[email protected] pandshop.com
STOP & SHOP SET TO BEGIN CONVERSION OF 25 FORMER A&P STORES IN GREATER NEW YORK Stores will be converted to the Stop & Shop banner in waves
Purchase, NY (October 8, 2015) – The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC today announced it will begin converting 25 A&P stores it is acquiring on Thursday, October 8th. During this process, groups of up to five stores will temporarily close for approximately 7 days and all of the conversions are expected to be completed by Friday, November 13th. The first wave of Stop & Shop grand openings is planned for Friday, October 16th and will include these locations:
- East Hampton Store – 67 Newtown Lane
- Southampton – 167 Main Street
- The Bronx – 961 East 174th Street
- Ozone Park, Queens – 92 10 Atlantic Avenue
- Brooklyn – 625 Atlantic Avenue
Pharmacies and banks within these locations will remain open during the conversion process. While the extent of the remodels and addition of new amenities will vary by store, each store will reopen as a Stop & Shop store and be refreshed with modern décor, updated refrigeration systems, new lighting, state-of-the-art technology, and other improvements. New and vibrant signage will show Stop & Shop’s low prices and exciting promotions.
“We are very excited to begin the store conversion process, and we will strive to minimize the inconvenience to customers,” said Don Sussman, president of Stop & Shop New York Metro Division. “Stop & Shop is committed to improving the overall shopping experience in these 25 stores to meet the quality, selection and savings that customers have come to expect from us.”
Stop & Shop’s signature fresh departments will be featured throughout the converted stores as key destinations. Produce departments will feature an assortment of fresh and locally-grown fruits and vegetables and a variety of organic produce. The Butcher Shoppe and Seafood Markets will feature Certified Angus Beef, 100% U.S.D.A. Choice Grade Beef, All-Natural Pork, Grade A Chicken and a vast selection of steaks, filets and shellfish. Deli departments will feature Boar’s Head products and specialty cheeses. Customers will also find ready-to-eat sandwiches and salads, fresh rotisserie chicken, pasta, soups and delectable entrees.
Other exciting offers include:
- An extensive assortment of natural and organic products, including over 1,400 Nature’s Promise products as well as gluten- free and special diet selections.
- A wide range of offers to customers who sign up for the Stop & Shop Card. The Card will offer customers automatic access to thousands of savings every time they shop plus Gas Extra Rewards. For every $100 spent on food and other eligible purchases using the Card, customers receive ten cents off per gallon of gas (up to $2.40 off in total) at participating Shell stations.
- Peapod, the country’s leading Internet grocer, will also be available to customers. Peapod recently expanded its service in the New York metro area and operates in all five New York City boroughs, in addition to Long Island, New Jersey and Connecticut markets.
- “Stop & Shop is committed to being a good neighbor in the communities where it does business,” said Sussman. “At each store grand opening event, Stop & Shop plans to make a charitable donation to a local non-profit organization that makes a positive impact on the lives of children. We’re also pleased to welcome approximately 3,000 former A&P store associates to Stop & Shop, so shoppers should look forward to seeing many of the same friendly faces.”
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC presently employs over 59,000 associates and operates 394 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness – with emphasis on children’s educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA’s Smart Way program and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.comor www.facebook.com/stopand shop
This press release includes forward-looking statements, which do not refer to historical facts but refer to expectations based on management's current views and assumptions and involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results, performance or events to differ materially from those included in such statements. These forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements as to the closing of the transaction. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from future results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Many of these risks and uncertainties relate to factors that are beyond Ahold’s ability to control or estimate precisely, such as factors discussed in Ahold’s public filings and other disclosures. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release. Ahold does not assume any obligation to update any public information or forward-looking statements in this press release to reflect subsequent events or circumstances, except as may be required by applicable laws.