November 9, 2012
Stop & Shop NY Metro
Stop & Shop to Open New and Improved Store in Hyde Park, NY
Showcases Energy and Environmental Features
(Purchase, NY) November 9, 2012 – The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced the official Grand Opening of a new store in Hyde Park, NY located at 3999 Albany Post Road on Friday, November 9th with an official ribbon cutting to be held at 10 am. The original Hyde Park store located at St. Andrews Road in Hyde Park will close at 6 pm on Thursday, November 8th.
Stop & Shop worked closely with local officials for over 8 years to gain approval to construct the new retail store along Route 9. Ground breaking started only eight months ago and now this newly constructed, energy-efficient store is opening with more bells and whistles than the original store down the street.
The 55,000 square foot store will offer customers quality perishable and non-perishable departments, convenience options, technology tools to make shopping easy and thousands of low prices everyday. The new store will offer customers key departments such as produce, bakery, deli, cheese shop, sushi, natural and organics, kosher products, meat and seafood. There’s an expanded Nature’s Promise area dedicated to natural and organic products. There will be a new Beer Garden offering a selection of domestic and imports with an emphasis on craft and specialty beers. Customers will find a “mix-a-six” option where they can create their own six packs with a variety of craft beers. A People’s Bank is located in the store for customer convenience. The regular store hours are Monday through Saturday, 6 am – 12 midnight and Sunday, 7 am – 12 midnight. Mike Feerick has been appointed store manager to lead a store team of more than 150 full and part-time associates to ensure a top-notch shopping experience. Feerick is a veteran with Stop & Shop, having most recently served as store manager of the Poughkeepsie location.
“We are constantly seeking ways to improve the customer’s overall shopping experience each time we open a new Stop & Shop store,” said Don Sussman, New York Metro Division president of Stop & Shop. “This new Hyde Park store is a leader when it comes to providing the breadth of selection, service and value and an innovator with an extensive range of energy-efficient features.”
The new and improved Hyde Park location was built to LEED certification standards as part of the United States Green Building Council’s LEED Volume Certification program. It also has numerous sustainable features to conserve energy and reduce impact on the environment.
- Lighting: The lighting design will contribute to the energy savings with strategic fixture placement, fixture efficiency, efficient lamp and ballast combinations, and Energy Management System control schemes. Daylight harvesting will be facilitated by the installation of skylights over the main sales area with photocells connected to a dimming system that measures the amount of natural daylight available within the store and dims the lights accordingly to reduce power consumption.
- Occupancy Sensors: Office areas will include occupancy sensors to control power consumption for lighting.
- Building Energy Management System: The HVAC, unit heaters, lighting, and refrigeration systems are controlled by an “Energy Management System” to monitor their performance and reduce power consumption.
- Energy Efficient Refrigeration Systems including variable frequency drives for refrigeration compressor capacity control and low speed condenser fans.
- Energy Efficient LED Lights are used in the produce department, in the frozen foods cases and mall signage throughout the store.
In addition to energy efficiency there are several new and improved features in the Hyde Park store:
- The décor features colorful photographic imagery in product areas that will wet your appetite; large interior billboards that highlight charitable community contributions to the local schools through A+ School Rewards Program; to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center through the Triple Winner Program.
- SCAN IT! Is a hand held scanner that helps Stop & Shop customers simplify their shopping experience by allowing them to scan and bag groceries while they shop. With SCAN IT! shopping is affordable, fun and helps customers save time and money. The device keeps a running tally of the total bill, which allows customers to price-check and manage their budgets as they shop.
- Deli vision is a new technology tool for making deli shopping easier and faster. Customer can just select what they want, get a printout of their choices and total price. And then the customer can pick up their order at the Deli when they’re ready to go.
- Wifi Café is available for customers who want to relax, enjoy their java and connect with friends and family.
In celebration of our Grand Opening in Hyde Park we are supporting Anderson Center for Autism with a $2,000 donation. Anderson Center for Autism is a not for profit organization dedicated to providing the highest quality programs possible for children and adults with autism. Equally important is their commitment to maintain an ongoing education and support network for their families and guardians.
Stop & Shop announced the opening of a fuel station on the property of the new Hyde Park store just days before Hurricane Sandy hit the northeast and was able to provide fuel to the community post-storm. The station offers 8 fueling positions (4 dispensers), each with a Pay-at-the-Pump feature. Stop & Shop gift cards can be redeemed at the fuel station. Stop & Shop’s Gas Rewards Program saves customers money at the pump! Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump at participating Shell stations. Customers can earn points through “bonus” point items that are promoted in Stop & Shop circulars and in-store.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 54 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com and www.facebook.com/stopandshop.