March 8, 2012
Stop & Shop New England
For Stop & Shop
Hyde Park Stop & Shop to Reopen March 30
Newly Rebuilt Store and Plaza Includes Expanded Offerings to Better Serve Urban Community
Quincy, MA and Purchase, NY (March 8, 2012) -The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced today it will reopen its doors at 7 a.m., March 30 to its Hyde Park, Mass., store located at 1025 Truman Parkway. The newly constructed, energy-efficient store boasts approximately 40,000 square feet, double the space of the original store, and includes expanded departments of produce, seafood and prepared foods.
The new Hyde Park store completes a multi-million dollar investment by Stop & Shop into the immediate area. In addition to the store rebuild, the funding supported the redesign of the plaza that houses the Hyde Park Stop & Shop; enhancements to surrounding infrastructure; and recent renovations to the Roslindale Stop & Shop and surrounding roadways just three miles away.
Additionally, the reopening of the Hyde Park store has created more than 60 new jobs for the city. Stop & Shop's nine Boston area stores (Boston - two stores, South Boston, Roslindale, Dorchester, Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Brookline, Allston) employ approximately 1,500 out of the 22,000 total Stop & Shop associates in Massachusetts.
"This latest project to rebuild the plaza and open a brand new store underscores our commitment for continued growth in the city of Boston," said Mark McGowan, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. "We are proud to be back in Hyde Park and are looking forward to continuing our true partnership with the city of Boston in the years to come."
Stop & Shop worked closely with city officials and key community organizations to fully rebuild the plaza which also includes a Walgreens, Super Liquors and Blue Hills Bank. Enhancements were also made to the surrounding area including additional street lighting and a new cross walk to ensure safety of the many commuters who use the five MBTA bus lines and MBTA community rail to access the plaza.
To help celebrate the reopening of its new store and plaza, Stop & Shop asked local residents to "officially" name the shopping plaza. Members of the community casted their vote and the winning plaza name will be revealed at the Stop & Shop store grand opening morning of Friday, March 30.
Quality and More Selection Throughout the Store
The Hyde Park store will offer a variety of products throughout each department:
- A larger produce department will provide a wider selection of cut fruit, fruit and vegetable party platters, and new pre-cut vegetables packages.
- The prepared foods section and full-service deli department will feature fried and rotisserie chicken, hot soup, sandwiches and more.
- The store will also boast thousands of Stop & Shop’s Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value.
- A new full-service seafood department will offer a full range of the freshest fish.
Savings In-Store and Beyond
Customers will be able to take advantage of Stop & Shop's ongoing savings and rewards programs to not only save on their shopping trip, but beyond the store as well:
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for several weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular.
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards saves customers at the pump! Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump. Redeeming points is easy - Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations. The nearest Stop & Shop gas station is located approximately three miles away at 950 American Legion Highway in Roslindale, Mass.
- A+ School Rewards – Stop & Shop's program to support local schools is free and easy for customers to help schools receive funding every year. Visit stopandshop.com for details.
Built with the Environment in Mind
The new store, which will pursue LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification in the coming months, is anticipated to use up to 20 percent less energy than a typical grocery store of this size. It was built with an extensive range of energy efficient features:
- White roof to reflect the sun light and reduce the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling.
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5 percent.
- LED lighting in overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases which uses half the wattage of traditional incandescent lighting.
- Low air return in frozen aisles which makes the store environment more comfortable for shoppers.
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33 percent less electricity.
- Low mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices.
- An Energy Management System to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems.
- Low flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35 percent.
- Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints, adhesives and sealants to ensure proper air quality.
- Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality, including:
- Water efficient landscaping;
- Specified Regional materials which are sourced and fabricated locally;
- Construction waste management to divert materials to recycling centers; and
- Construction methods that adhere to Indoor Environmental Air Quality LEED standards.
The new Hyde Park Stop & Shop located at 1025 Truman Parkway will be open 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Grand Opening Day, March 30. Regular store hours are 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. Sunday. For additional store details, information about in-store offerings and savings or Stop & Shop's community partnerships, visit www.stopandshop.com.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 54 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com and www.facebook.com/stopandshop.