June 18, 2013
Stop & Shop New England
Stop & Shop to Open New Somerville, Mass. Store on Friday, June 21
Grand opening weekend kicks off with special deals and activities
(QUINCY, Mass.,) Jun. 18, 2013 - The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced today it will open the doors to its second Somerville, Mass. store located at 105 Alewife Brook Parkway at 7 a.m. on Friday, Jun. 21. The new store will offer Somerville residents and neighboring towns fresh produce, seafood and high quality meats along with an expanded selection of natural and organic products in addition to Stop & Shop's trademark savings programs, and everyday values.
Media, along with local officials, partners and vendors, community organizations, and residents are invited to join as Stop & Shop celebrates the new store opening with a number of activities including a ribbon cutting ceremony with store manager, Rich Nolan, and Somerville Mayor, Joseph A. Curtatone, on Friday, Jun. 21 at 10 a.m.
The celebration will continue throughout the weekend with special promotions and savings for Somerville shoppers including:
- Stop & Shop Brands Patrol (Saturday, Jun. 22 - Sunday, Jun. 23): Stop & Shop is giving $1,000 worth of prizes through its Brands Patrol! Customers that purchase Nature's Promise and Stop & Shop brand products could win a $10 Stop & Shop gift card. Approximately $500 per day will be given away during grand opening weekend on Saturday, Jun. 22, and Sunday, Jun. 23 between 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Kids Entertainment (Friday, Jun. 21 - Sunday, Jun. 23): Kids can enjoy entertainment from special guest Silly Sally the Clown. She will offer face painting, balloon animals and puppet shows. Hours for Silly Sally the Clown are 12 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Friday, Jun. 21- Sunday, Jun. 23.
"Stop & Shop is proud to continue our tradition of serving Somerville residents by opening a second store in the city," said Joe Kelley, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. "We are very excited about the new store and looking forward to celebrating the grand opening with Mayor Curtatone, other city officials and the Somerville community."
New Store Offerings
Customers will have a variety of innovative solutions and ongoing savings to make shopping both easier and affordable, including:
Savings in Store & Beyond
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for several weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular.
- Stop & Shop's Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value:
- Stop & Shop Brand - hundreds of items across the store
- Nature's Promise® - natural and organic products
- CareOne® - quality health and beauty products
- Simply Enjoy - restaurant inspired appetizers, desserts and specialty foods
- Smart Living - household supplies
- Companion - pet food and supplies
- Cottontails - baby care products
- Guaranteed Value - everyday products at value prices
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards: Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump. Redeeming points is easy - Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations.
- A+ School Rewards: Stop & Shop's program to support local schools is a free and easy way for customers to help the school of their choice receive funding every year. Current Somerville schools enlisted in the program include Arthur D. Healey Elementary School, Benjamin G. Brown School, Capuano Early Childhood Center, East Somerville Community School, John F. Kennedy School, Prospect Hill Academy Charter School, St. Catherine of Genoa School and Winter Hill Community School. Visit stopandshop.com/aplus for details.
In-Store Shopping Tools
- ORDER IT! deli kiosk to order deli items in store then pick up at the customer's convenience. Alerts are announced in-store or customers can receive text alerts to their phone.
- CHECK IT! (Self-Checkout) registers that are fully automated and provide on-screen instructions and helpful graphics to allow customers to scan and pay for their groceries, and even redeem coupons.
The new Somerville Stop & Shop located at 105 Alewife Brook Parkway will be open 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. grand opening day, Friday, Jun. 21. Regular store hours are 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. Sunday.
Stop & Shop acquired the lease of the former Johnnie's Foodmaster in Somerville in February 2013. The new store will employ approximately 100 full- and part-time associates.
For additional store details, information about in-store offerings and savings or Stop & Shop's community partnerships, visit www.stopandshop.com or www.facebook.com/stopandshop.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 54 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com and www.facebook.com/stopandshop.