June 8, 2012
Stop & Shop New England
Stop & Shop's Second Pembroke, Mass., Store Opens For Business
Grand Opening Raises Funds for Town's 300th Anniversary
(QUINCY, Mass.,) June 8, 2012 - At 7 a.m. this morning, the Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC opened the doors to its second Pembroke, Mass., store located at 24 Mattakeesett St. This new 45,000 sq. ft. store will continue to provide value and convenience to Pembroke's residents and those in the neighboring towns. The new store has full-service meat, seafood, natural and organic departments and is offering special savings for customers during its Grand Opening weekend.
Additionally, during opening weekend, Stop & Shop will help raise funds for Pembroke's 300th Anniversary celebration. For every Stop & Shop "check in" on Facebook or Foursquare during the supermarket's grand opening weekend (today through Sunday), Stop & Shop will donate $1, up to $1,000, as a supplement to the $2,500 already being contributed to the town's anniversary fund.
"One of the greatest rewards of partnering with a town to create a new store location is being able to give back to our customers not only during their in-store shopping experience, but also in community support," said Joe Kelley, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. "We encourage local Pembroke residents to help us raise additional funds, which can be used for a variety of activities throughout the town's anniversary year."
A Fresh, Easy to Shop Store:
The new store boasts the latest in features to make shopping easier including:
- SCAN IT! shopping tools - hand held devices in store or SCAN IT! Mobile that allow customers to scan, tally, and receive personalized savings while they shop. The app is available for free to iPhone® 3GS, 4G, 4S, and most Android™ users.
- New full-service meat and seafood departments which will offer a full range of the freshest meats and fishes.
- A wider selection of natural and organics, which will allow customers to have broader variety and selection each time they shop.
Grand Opening Weekend Activities and Special Promotions:
The new Stop & Shop is celebrating its opening weekend with several activities and special offers for customers, including:
- Brands Patrol - Stop & Shop is giving $1,000 worth of prizes through its Stop & Shop Brands Patrol! Customers that purchase Nature's Promise and Stop & Shop brand products could win a $10 Stop & Shop gift card. Up to $500 a day will be given away. Hours are 12-3pm on Saturday June 9 and Sunday June 10.
- Character Appearances -See your favorite characters during the weekend including Tony the Tiger, Oreo, Goldie the goldfish and the special visit from the Dairy Princess.
- Check in - To support Pembroke's 300th Anniversary, Stop & Shop will donate $1 for every person who checks in at Stop & Shop (24 Mattakeesett St.) via Facebook or Foursquare.
Savings in Store & Beyond:
In addition to opening weekend specials, Stop & Shop is offering value to customers through in-store programs and value offerings including:
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for multiple weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular;
- Thousands of Stop & Shop's Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value;
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards saves customers at the pump! Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump; Redeeming points is easy - Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations. The nearest Stop & Shop gas station is located at 125 Church St. in Pembroke, Mass.; and
- A+ School Rewards, Stop & Shop's program to support local schools that allows customers an easy way to generate funding every year. Visit stopandshop.com for details.
Built with the Environment in Mind
The new store, which will pursue LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification in the coming months, is anticipated to use up to 20 percent less energy than a typical grocery store of this size. It was built with an extensive range of energy efficient features:
- White roof to reflect the sun light and reduce the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling.
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5 percent.
- LED lighting in overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases which uses half the wattage of traditional incandescent lighting.
- Low air return in frozen aisles which makes the store environment more comfortable for shoppers.
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33 percent less electricity.
- Low mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices.
- An Energy Management System to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems.
- Low flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35 percent.
- Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints, adhesives and sealants to ensure proper air quality.
- Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality.
The new Pembroke, Mass. Stop & Shop located at 24 Mattakeesett Street will be open today from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Regular store hours are 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. Sunday. For additional store details, information about in-store offerings and savings or Stop & Shop's community partnerships, visit www.stopandshop.com.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 54 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com and www.facebook.com/stopandshop.