blackberry thyme lemonade
prep time: 15 minutes + refrigeration time
cook time: 5 minutes
ready in: 2 hours
makes: 8 servings, 8 oz. each
- 1 ½ cups fresh blackberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (juice from about 2 lemons)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 cups water, divided
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Combine lemon juice, blackberries and thyme in a medium bowl. Use a wooden spoon, potato masher or pestle to mash the blackberries until juices are released. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to develop. Pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds, pulp and herbs.
- While fruit mixture is refrigerating, make a simple syrup by heating the sugar and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved completely, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine the juice mixture and the simple syrup in a pitcher. Add remaining 7 1/3 cups cold water, more or less to the desired strength. Refrigerate 30–40 minutes. If the lemonade is a little sweet for your taste, add a little more lemon juice.
- Serve with ice, sliced lemon, fresh sprigs of thyme and additional blackberries, if desired.
Per serving: 70 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 14g sugars, 0g protein