caramelized onion-apple mini tarts
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour
makes: 24 servings, 2 pieces each
- 1 lb pizza dough or frozen bread dough, defrosted before use
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Granny Smith or other tart apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 3 oz. fontina cheese, shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets. Cut dough into 24 portions. Roll each piece of dough into a 3-inch circular and place on baking sheets. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until onions are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add apples and nutmeg and cook just until apples are warmed through. Remove pan from heat. Arrange onion and apple mixture on each dough circle. Bake for 10 minutes until dough is just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle the pies with the cheese and pepper. Bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Serve warm.
per serving: 80 calories, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 11g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 3g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.