caribbean catfish with mango-black bean salsa
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 25 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 8 oz. each
- 1 lb. catfish fillets
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Caribbean Jerk seasoning* or Cajun seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small mango, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Grated zest of 1/2 of a lime
- Fresh juice from 1/2 of a lime
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Sprinkle the fillets evenly with jerk seasoning and place on lightly oiled broiler pan. Broil 6 inches from heat source for 10–12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- For salsa, stir together beans, mango, onion, peppers, cilantro, lime zest and juice. Salsa may be served immediately at room temperature or prepared a day ahead, covered and chilled until ready to serve.
- Serve broiled fish with salsa and garnish with lime wedges.*To make your own jerk seasoning blend, combine 1/4 teaspoon each of ground allspice, dried thyme, garlic powder, cayenne and cinnamon or nutmeg.
Note: *If preparing for a gluten-free diet, make sure all ingredients are labeled gluten-free
per serving: 210 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 25g protein