chicken and vegetable kabobs
prep time: 25 minutes + marinate time
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes + marinate time
makes: 4 servings, 2 skewers each
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tablespoons peeled, minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lb bonesless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 8 slices
- 8 (12-inch) metal skewers
- Mixed salad greens (optional)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- For marinade, whisk together orange juice, oil, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes; reserve 3/4 cup. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Add onion, bell pepper and zucchini; toss to coat. Seal bag and refrigerate 20 minutes more.
- Preheat grill to medium-high (350°F–400°F). Remove chicken and vegetables from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables onto skewers.
- Place skewers on grill. Grill, covered, 8–10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F). Place kabobs on salad greens, if desired. Serve with reserved marinade.
Per serving: 230 calories, 6g fat, 1g saturated fat, 95mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g sugars, 36g protein