chicken salad in tomato cups
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 50 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 6oz each
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 3 Tablespoons non-fat plain Greek yogurt or fat-free sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 6 tomatoes, about 3-inch diameter
- 3 cups lettuce leaves, coarsely chopped
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place chicken in a baking dish, sprinkle with pepper and salt. Bake, uncovered, for 25–30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Allow chicken to cool and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. *Or use 2 cups leftover cooked chicken.
- In a medium bowl, combine diced chicken and scallions. In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and basil. Spoon over chicken and toss gently to coat. Chicken salad may be made ahead and refrigerated.
- Slice off top of each tomato and reserve caps. Scoop out pulp from tomatoes.
- Divide lettuce among plates. Spoon chicken salad into tomatoes and top with tomato caps. Place tomatoes on top of lettuce and serve immediately.
Suggestions: Serve with crusty bread. Enjoy strawberries and blueberries for dessert.
Nutrition information per serving: 140 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 55mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 19g protein