chicken with asparagus and mushrooms
prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 20 minutes ready in: 35 minutes makes: 4 servings, 12 oz. each
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 5 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 8 oz. baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. asparagus spears
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté chicken in 2 batches until lightly browned, using additional 1 teaspoon of oil for second batch. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil and sauté mushrooms until lightly browned and just beginning to give up their liquid. Remove mushrooms from skillet.
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil and sauté onions and garlic until tender and lightly browned.
- Combine cornstarch with chicken broth and add to skillet. Cook until it starts to thicken.
- Slice asparagus spears into 2 to 3-inch pieces and add to skillet, cook for 1 minute.
- Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet, sprinkle with oregano and pepper and stir gently to combine. Cook until asparagus is crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over cooked pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.