chipotle barbeque ribs
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour, 40 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1/2 rack each
- 4 lb. baby back pork ribs
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, plus extra for basting
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a covered grill, prepare medium charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium.
- Cut each rack of ribs in half and place ribs side-by-side on a long sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, top with salt, chipotle, garlic, cayenne and black pepper and a few tablespoons of water or chicken broth. Wrap tightly.
- Place both packets flat on the preheated grill grid*; cover and cook for a total of 40-60 minutes, turning the packets over about every 20 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce to both sides of ribs half way through cooking and re-wrap. When tender, remove the packets from the grill to a large baking pan and let rest.
- Remove the foil wrapping; place the ribs on a lightly oiled grid, opposite the fire or heat. Cover the grill and cook for about 30 minutes or until the ribs are done, turning and basting both sides with the BBQ Sauce about every 10 minutes.
- *If you're using a gas grill, raise the heat on one burner to create a medium-hot indirect fire. If using a charcoal grill, add more coals to the fire to raise the temperature of the fire to medium-hot, and then bank them to one side.
- Suggestion: Try Simply Enjoy Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce or Mesquite BBQ Sauce
per serving: 380 calories, 24g fat, 8g saturated fat, 100mg cholesterol, 1860mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 9g sugars, 29g protein