chorizo & monterey jack quesadillas
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes: 16 servings, 1 piece each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (12 oz.) package cured chorizo sausage, halved and sliced thin
- 1 medium sweet onion, quartered and sliced thin
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chorizo sausage and the onion, and season with pepper, sauteing until the sausage is lightly browned and the onion is tender. Remove the sausage and onion from the skillet and set aside in a mixing bowl, allowing to cool slightly.
- Add the cheese and cilantro to the sausage and onion, mixing well to combine for the filling.
- Brush 2 tortillas lightly with oil on one side and place oiled side down, on a platter. Divide the filling evenly between tortillas and cover with remaining 2 tortillas. Brush tops of quesadillas lightly with oil.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat, cook one quesadilla until underside are golden brown, about 1–2 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 1–2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, add another 1/2 tablespoon oil to pan and repeat with remaining quesadilla.
- Cut into wedges and serve with a side of shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and salsa if desired.
per serving: 200 calories, 14g fat, 6g fat, 30mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1g sugars, 9g protein