cod fillets & peas with scallion potato topping
prep time: 30 minutes cook time: 20 minutes ready in: 50 minutes makes: 4 servings, 2 cup each
- 1 ½ lb. potatoes, about 2 large
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz. cod fillets
- 1 ½ cups frozen green peas
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup potato water or milk
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Peel potatoes if desired and cut into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large pot and add water just to cover. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cook about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a large skillet. Cut fillets into bite-sized chunks and add to broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove fish with a slotted spoon and transfer to a casserole dish. Add peas to casserole.
- Dissolve flour with a small amount of water and whisk into broth with pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and pour over fish and peas.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Drain potato liquid and reserve. Mash potatoes with butter and enough liquid or milk to make a smooth consistency. Fold in scallions and spoon mashed potatoes over the fish and peas.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and potatoes begin to brown slightly.