creole shrimp and rice
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 12 oz. each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (not instant/minute rice)
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning blend
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and cooked
- 1 pkg (10 oz.) frozen okra or 1 ½ cups frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add rice; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, water and seasoning blend; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and okra (or snap peas). Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until heated through.
per serving: 290 calories, 6g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 155mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 23g protein