Prep Time: 30 min. Cook Time: 30 min. Makes 12 servings, 1 slice each
- 1 pkg. (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 3 – 4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 large colored eggs, raw (eggs will cook in the oven while bread bakes)
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- colored sprinkles (optional)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, lemon zest, salt, sugar, butter, milk and 2 eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix on low speed, gradually add remaining flour until stiff dough forms.
- Knead dough until smooth. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour).
- Lightly sprinkle work surface with flour. Punch down dough and divide into 12 pieces.
- Dampen hands and roll each piece into a 12-inch rope. Twist together two pieces of dough to form a braided rope. Pinch ends together and loop dough into a circle. Repeat to form a total of 6 bread rings.
- Place bread rings on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover with a kitchen cloth and let rise until double in size, about 1 – 1½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush beads with egg wash and place an uncooked egg in the center of each ring.
- Add sprinkles, if desired. Bake 25–30 minutes, or until a deep golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Note: Nutritional analysis does not include the colored eggs.
Per Serving: 230 calories, 6g fat, 3g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 4g sugars, 7g protein