prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 3 in. each
- 1 envelope (2½ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1¼ cups warm (110-115°f) water
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1½-2 cups all-purpose flour
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Place yeast, water and honey in a large bowl. Stir to dissolve yeast and let stand 5–10 minutes or until foamy. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Combine whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and salt and stir into liquids, beating with a wooden spoon until flour is mixed in.
- Turn dough out onto a work surface and work in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour by hand to make very soft, but not sticky, dough. Knead for 10 minutes until very smooth and silky. Wash and dry bowl, return dough to bowl and lightly coat dough with oil. Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.
- Coat a 10x14-inch baking pan with 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to a rectangle to fit pan, let rest 10 minutes. Carefully lift dough into pan and spread out evenly. Brush top of dough with remaining 1½ tablespoons oil. Cover and let rise at room temperature until puffy, about 45 minutes. During last 10 minutes, preheat oven to 425°f. Make 1/2-inch deep indentations over surface of dough using your fingertips.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing.
- PARMESAN HERB- Before baking, sprinkle dough with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. OLIVE & ROSEMARY- After first rising, punch down dough and knead in 1/4 cup chopped olives or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or cloves from one head of roasted garlic.
- PIZZA - Before baking, sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, top with a thinly sliced tomato, sprinkle with garlic powder, basil and black pepper. PANINI: Split focaccia in half horizontally to make a sandwich. Add desired fillings and grill in a skillet or Panini press.
per serving: 150 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 27g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 0g sugars, 4g protein