garlic herbed pork roast
prep time: 15 minutes + marinate time
cook time: 4 hours
ready in: 12 hours, 15 minutes
makes: 10 servings, 6 ½ oz. each
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- 1 Tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 5 lb. bone-in pork shoulder roast
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Place garlic, coriander seeds and oregano in food processor or blender; pulse until finely chopped. Add olive oil and vinegar; process into a paste.
- Place pork roast in a large dish. Using a sharp knife, make a dozen 1 ½ -inch slits all over roast. Fill each slit with about 1 teaspoon of garlic paste. Rub any leftover paste over roast. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pork in a large roasting pan. Pour any accumulated juices over roast. Cover tightly with foil; roast 2 hours. Discard foil; add ½ cup of the broth to pan. Roast, uncovered, 2 hours more or until pork is fork-tender, adding additional broth every 30 minutes. Transfer to a platter; let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with roasted potatoes and a frozen, steamed vegetable medley.
Gluten Free Recipe - Note: If preparing for a gluten-free diet, carefully read product labels when selecting ingredients.
Per serving: 320 calories, 20g fat, 6.5g saturated fat, 100mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 30g protein