grilled margarita pork bowl
prep time: 10 minutes + marinate time
cook time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
ready in: 11 hours, 40 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 6 oz. each
- 3/4 cup bottled margarita mix
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped*
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ lb. pork shoulder roast
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Toppings (optional): Green salsa, shredded cheese and reduced-fat sour cream
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large resealable plastic bag combine margarita mix, cilantro, jalapeño and garlic; mix well. Add pork to bag; seal bag. Shake and turn bag to coat all sides of pork. Refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Place a disposable foil pan under center of grill rack; fill pan with water to a depth of 3 inches. Preheat grill to medium-low indirect heat (275°F –300°F). Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place pork in center of rack. Grill 3½ hours or until fork-tender.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Shred pork with 2 forks. Serve over rice in individual bowls. If desired, top with salsa, cheese and sour cream.
- *Use caution when handling hot peppers. Wear disposable gloves or wash hands in hot, soapy water afterward.
per serving: 210 calories, 5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 6g sugars, 17g protein