harvest jambalaya with sweet potatoes
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 links fully cooked Andouille sausage (about 6 oz.), sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- ½ cup each diced celery
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 ½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Heat ½ of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and brown, about 2–3 minutes per side. Add sausage to skillet and lightly brown. Transfer to a plate when both are fully cooked.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sweet potato to skillet and sauté, stirring occasionally. Add celery and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat rice with oil from pan, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth, canned tomatoes, and Cajun seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15–20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Fold in chicken and sausage to cooked rice. Heat through. Serve while warm.
Per serving: 450 calories, 11g fat, 3g saturated fat, 55mg cholesterol, 860mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 7g sugars, 26g protein