light egg nog
prep time: 8 hours 30 minutes
cook time: 0 minutes
ready in: 8 hours 30 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 1/2 cup each
- 6 cups low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brandy, bourbon or rum (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light whipping cream
- Bring milk and nutmeg to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Whisk eggs, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Whisk constantly, gradually add hot milk; return mixture to saucepan. Cook the egg nog over very low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 10-15 minutes, (Temperature must reach 160°F; do not leg egg nog come to a simmer.)
- Remove from the heat and pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl.
- Whisk in brandy (or bourbon or rum) and vanilla.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the egg nog and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, add cream to egg nog.
- Ladle into cups and serve garnished with more grated nutmeg.
per serving: 140 calories, 4g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 19g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 6g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.