mac and cheddar cheese with chicken and broccoli
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 2 ½ cups each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenders, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb. macaroni elbows
- 2 ½ cups raw broccoli florets
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Place a pot of water on to boil for macaroni. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add oil and chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sauté a couple of minutes then add onion and cook for about 5 - 7 minutes until onions are tender and chicken is cooked through. Turn off heat and reserve.
- To boiling pasta water, add pasta and salt to season the cooking water. Cook for 5 minutes, then add broccoli and cook for 3 minutes more or until pasta is cooked to al dente and florets are just tender.
- While pasta cooks, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and melt, then add flour, cayenne and paprika and whisk together over medium heat until roux bubbles then cook 1 minute more. Whisk in milk and stock and raise heat a little to bring sauce to a quick boil. Simmer sauce to thicken about 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta and broccoli florets. Add back to pot and add chicken to the pasta and broccoli florets. Add cheese to milk sauce and stir to melt it in, about a minute. Stir in mustard and season sauce with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken, broccoli and cooked pasta and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings, transfer to a serving platter. Serve.
per serving: 780 calories, 35g fat, 19g saturated fat, 130mg cholesterol, 1010mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 46g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.